Monday 6 February 2017

The First Randle Gent and his Family

[to be continued]

I recently wrote about my great uncle Randle Gent who was killed when knocked down by a motor taxi in 1915. There was a previous Randle Gent, for whom he was named, who had lived in Liverpool, son of Joseph Gent, cousin of his grandfather Dr Henry Gent. That Randle Gent was the eldest of six children of Joseph gent and his wife Ann Harrison. The parents married on 21st February 1792 and Randle was born on 25th September 1792, just seven months later. There were various references to Randle and his family, in my great grandfather's notes, and in family letters that had survived. Randle's father was the first of my family, as far as I know, to receive a university education, and he was set for a bright and prosperous future, but he died at the age of forty one after what seems to have been a brief illness leaving his wife with six young children. All I could ever trace of Randle was the reference in a letter from a Turner cousin in Liverpool appearing to suggest that he had been pressganged, and I have never succeeded in discovering more about the family. Until, of course, this week, when thanks to a membership of ancestry.co.uk I was able to see the results of the research by a distant cousin, Hilary Rourke in Bishops Stortford, a descendant of Randle's sister, and I discovered that randle and most of his siblings died young and unmarried. The descent into relative poverty and the unhealthy atmosphere of early nineteenth century Liverpool.

From the notes of my great grandfather, Frank Turner Gent:
The coat of arms on the bookplate in this book is from the copper plate belonging to Randle Gent of Liverpool in 1808, the son of Joseph Gent, my grandfather's brother. We had one print of it among my aunt Mary Gent's papers, but did not know who the Randle was. My brother then found the will of Joseph Gent of Liverpool among his papers, in which Randle was mentioned. I then advertised for the descendants of this Joseph Gent and had a letter to say his last granddaughter was still alive in Liverpool and would be glad to see me. I went over in November, 1902 and saw the only relative I have ever known of my father excepting his sister. She was over seventy and had been an invalid with rheumatism many years, and two days before I went had fallen off her chair and injured herself dreadfully, breaking her ankle and her hip, yet she wished to see me and showed great and noble patience and fortitude in her suffering. I did not stay many minutes with her in the bedroom as she would be unfit to talk in her pitiful state, but saw enough to tell me she was a noble and estimable lady. I saw two of her married nieces and the youngest, unmarried: Mrs Carson, Mrs Lockett and Miss Colbourn. They told me all they could of the family history, showed me the plate which Randle had had engraved (of this coat of arms), Randle's portrait in oil, his brother John's portrait as a child, and a diary of John's with an account of a visit he paid to Spen Green about 1830 to his uncle John's (my grandfather), mentioning my grandfather and grandmother, my father, aunt Mary, uncle Brian and great uncle James and his daughters Catherine and Ann Gent (who married Mr Hodkinson and Mr Broadhurst).
Miss Molyneux died a month after, so I only saw her once and then too late under such painful circumstances to ask her for any of the family information she could have given me, had I known her earlier. She was a spinster, the daughter of Joseph Gent's eldest daughter, all his sons having died unmarried, and buried at St Ann's church, Cazneau Street (now removed), and only one of his daughters left issue, three girls, herself and Jane dying single and Mary Ann being the mother of four daughters, three of whom I saw.

Miss Molineux

The will of Randle Gent's father:
This is the last Will and Testament of me Joseph Gent of Liverpool in the County of Lancaster Landing waiter in his Majesty's Customs first I order and direct the payment of all my just debts funeral expenses and the charges of the Probate of this my Will Then I give devise and bequeath All that my Leasehold Messuage or Dwellinghouse and Premises with the appurtenances wherein I now dwell together with all my household goods and furniture as also all the residue and remainder of my estate and effects whatsoever and wheresoever unto my dear Wife Ann Gent for and during the term of her natural life or so long as she shall continue my widow and no longer for her own use and disposal to bring up and educate my four youngest children and from and immediately after her death or second marriage which shall first happen then I give devise and bequeath the same and every part unto my executors hereinafter named upon trust for my infant children until the four youngest shall attain their respective ages of twenty one years and then to be divided between them and my two other children Randle Gent and James Gent share and share alike first reserving unto my dear wife her third part thereof I hereby nominate constitute and appoint my Brother John Gent of Spen Green in the County of Chester Farmer and Eli Harrison of Liverpool aforesaid gentleman Executors of this my last will and testament hereby revoking and making void all former and other Will and Wills by me heretofore made and I declare this to be my last Will In Witness whereof I the said testator have hereunto set my hand and seal the second day of February one thousand eight hundred and eleven.J. Gent L. S.Signed sealed published and declared by the said Testator as and for his last Will and testament in the presence of us who at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as Witnesses.
H. Blackhurst Richard Kent Edwd Dod

¶ Joseph Gent was the younger brother of John Gent. Born in 1765, he was the most intelligent of the family, almost certainly educated by his Turner uncles or cousins, and received a university education. He married Ann Harrison on 21st February 1792, when he was twenty-five, and she was already expecting their first child, Randle, who was baptised on the 25th of September that same year. His early death in 1811 left his wife with six children, of whom only the youngest was to marry and leave descendants.

• John Gent esq[Alcu] Spen Greennear CongletonCheshire Liverpool March 1811 Dear Uncle,We had the pleasure of hearing from my Cousin Mary today, who I find is at Knutsford, and has been since she left Liverpool. I am sorry we had such disagreeable weather whilst you were here, as it made L'pool so very dull and dirty, for my Cousin had no pleasure, as the weather would not admit me to show her the Town, and shipping etc.My brother James is going in the Progress for Quebec, and will sail in the course of a week or fortnight. The Captain seems quite fond of him, and I have no doubt but he will be his friend, if he conducts himself as he ought to do. I see by Mary's letter Henry would not like to be a sailor, I suppose you are too much afraid of him, but I would by all means put him to what his inclination leads him to. I wish we were settled, as I have not the least doubt, but what I could make him very comfortable with me (that is if you should wish him to go into an office in this Town: I think he is very active and likewise well calculated for a Merchant or Broker. I wish very much I had time to come to see you, but we are so busy about our new habitation that I cannot possibly leave home. My Mother, I am happy to say, meets with a number of Friends, and I have no doubt but she will come on very well in the business she's going to undertake. I should like to see Henry in L'pool and if you can possibly spare him, I wish you would let him come; then I can have some conversation with him, and he will be company for James before he goes to sea. I hope my Grandfather and Grandmother are well, for they are both very old, and I am afraid the unhappy news of my Father's death has hurt them very much. Please to tell them that they shall have a letter from me in a day or two, and please to plead an excuse for my Mother and Mary Green not writing as they are so very busy looking after the new house which is fitting up for us; it is situated in Price's Street near the Custom House which is a very desirable situation. Mary Green has sent some things directed to my Cousin Mary to be left at my Aunt Clowes's, who I suppose will forward them to your house immediately. I shall always be very happy to hear from you, or any of my cousins, and I wish very much to be friends with my Aunt Harrison as it pains me very much to think she is so deserted; if you see her in company I would be glad if you would break the ice for me and say we were making every enquiry about her. After we are settled we shall be glad to see any of you and we will make you as comfortable as possible. They all join me in love and respects to you allFriends and believe meYours trulyRandle GentP. S. If you wish Henry to go into an office I know I can fix him very comfortable and after we are fixed he can live with us, but let him come and see.

¶ His grandfather Joseph Gent died at Middlehulme 27th October 1811. His grandmother Mary, née Turner died 5th November 1815. 'Aunt Clowes' was Ellen Gent, his father's eldest sister, who married Robert Clowes on 24th of June 1777, when she was eighteen. James presumably was seeking his fortune at sea - he was the second of Joseph and Ann's children.

• [Ship Fletcher] Doctor GentTortola Liverpool 26th Nov 1812  SirBy the request of your Father I have this day sent a box for you per the ship Fletcher which I hope you will get safe. I am informed it's been a long time, of which I was sorry to hear, as most likely you must be in great wants of it; the above mentioned vessel is the first that's gone from this, since I knew of it. I saw a friend of yours from Congleton the other day who informed me that all at your house and neighbourhood were very well - Cousin Gents here are but indifferent. I am sorry to say poor Randle gone on board a Man of War. In hopes that you will have your health and prosper in your present undertakings. I remainSir, Your ever WellwisherJames Turner

¶ This letter is written to Dr John Gent of Tortola, West Indies, by his cousin James Turner, brother or nephew of John Turner of Nile St, Liverpool (brother of Mary Turner, whom my great grandfather Joseph married, and who lived a bachelor with a manservant Birtles), and son of Daniel and Elizabeth Turner of Meerbrook. FTG
I do not know what became of Randle Gent. He was presumably taken by a press gang during the Napoleonic wars. The history of this branch of the family is of interest, and there is an account of a meeting with one of its descendants almost a hundred years later.

Notes from Ancestry.co.uk on Joseph Gent's children:
  • Randle Gent
  • Birth

    23 SEP 1792 • Toft House, Meerbrook, Staffordshire, England

    Staffordshire baptisms: "Randle son of Joseph and Anne Gent was born about four o'clock Sept 23rd (at the Toft House) and baptized the same day". Named after Ann's brother, Randle.

    1792
    (AGE)

  • Baptism

    23 Sep 1792 • Meerbrook,Stafford,England


    1792

  • Death

    MAR 1817 • Pitt St, Liverpool

    FS: England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991, burial date: 19 Mar 1817 burial place: St.Anne'S, Liverpool, Lancaster, Eng. age: 24 birth date: 1793

    1817
    24

  • Burial

    19 March 1817 • St.Anne'S, Liverpool, Lancaster, Eng.

  • FS: England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991 name: Rander Gent gender: Male burial date: 19 Mar 1817 burial place: St.Anne'S, Liverpool, Lancaster, Eng. age: 24 birth date: 1793

James Gent 


  • Birth

    1795 • Norton in the Moors, Stafford, England


    1795
    (AGE)

  • Baptism

    12 April 1795 • Norton in the Moors, Stafford, England

    Staffordshire baptisms (FMP): [christening of] James, of Joseph and Ann Gent of Milton at St Bartholomew church, Norton Le Moors, Staffordshire
    1795
    0

  • Death

    SEP 1816 • of Pitt St, Liverpool


    1816
    21

  • Burial

    27 Sept 1816 • St.Anne'S, Liverpool, Lancaster, Eng.

    St Anne's church. FS: England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991. His occupation was book-keeper.



Jane Gent

  • Birth

    30 Dec 1799 • Liverpool St Thomas, Lancashire


    1799
    (AGE)

  • Baptism

    16 Feb 1800 • Liverpool St Thomas, Lancashire


    1800
    0

  • Residence

    1851 • Liverpool, Lancashire, England

    202 Brownlow Hill; a confectioner, partner to Eliza Coulbourn and aunt to Maria Gerald and Mary Jane Molineux.

    1851
    52

  • Partnership Dissolution

    10 Aug 1853 • Liverpool, Lancashire, England

    Reported in Perry's Bankrupt Gazette that Jane's confectionery partnership with Eliza Coulebourn was dissolved on 10 August 1853.
    1853
    53

  • Residence

    1853 • Liverpool, Lancashire, England

    In Gore's Directory of 1853 both Eliza and Jane Gent (confectioners) are showing as living at 202 Brownlow Hill, along with Eliza's son Henry (watchmaker).
    1853
    54

  • Residence

    1855 • Liverpool, Lancashire, England

    According to Slater's directory of 1855 Jane was living at 24 Mount Vernon Road, while her former partner Eliza Coulebourn was living on Brownlow Hill. She was at the same address in the 1860 Gore's Directory of Liverpool, a confectioner in both.

    1855
    56

  • Residence

    1860 • Liverpool, Lancashire, England

    24 Mount Vernon

    1860
    61

  • Residence

    1861 • West Derby, Lancashire, England

    24 Mount Vernon Road (Confectioner)

    1861
    62

  • Residence

    1869 • Liverpool, Lancashire, England

    Source: 1869 Slater's Directory, address: 23 Moss St, occupation: confectioner

    1869
    70

  • Residence

    1871 • Moss Street, Liverpool, England

    Listed in The Commercial Directory of Liverpool as Gent, Jane, Confectioner, 23 Moss Street E
    1871
    72

  • Residence

    1871 • Liverpool, Lancashire, England

    23 Moss Street, Head of household, confectioner.

    1871
    72

  • Death

    29 Jan 1879 • 96 Shaw St, Everton, Liverpool

    Jane's death was reported in the Liverpool Mercury 4 Feb 1879 - she died in her home, 96 Shaw Street, aged 78.

    1879
    79

  • Burial

    1 Feb 1879 • Toxteth Park Liverpool

  • Buried with members of Coulebourn family and Mary Jane Molineux, see Comments

Mary Ann Gent

  • Birth

    January 1799 • Norton in the Moors, Staffs

    Guessing that she was born early in the year as her sister Jane was born at the end of December of the same year - don't have proof of her birth month

    1799
    (AGE)

  • Baptism

    7 Jun 1799 • Norton IN The Moors,Stafford,England

    Staffordshire baptisms: Mary Ann Gent baptized 7 Jun 1799 at St Bartholomew, Norton in the Moors, Anglican church, daughter of Joseph and Ann Gent of Liverpool - so the family had already moved to Liverpool and returned to Staffordshire for her baptism.

    1799
    0

  • Marriage

    5 Jul 1828 • Liverpool St Philip, Lancashire

    In Liverpool Mercury 11 Jul 1828, marriages: On Saturday last, at St Philip's church, Mr J A Molineux to Mary Ann, eldest daughter of the late Mr Joseph Gent, landing waiter. Witnesses: W.T. Spencer & H.Hughes.


    John Allen Molineux


    (1798–1835)

    1828
    29

  • Death

    MAY 1840 • of Gt Richmond St, Liverpool (aged 41)




Margaret Gent

  • Birth

    26 NOV 1801 • Liverpool


    1801
    (AGE)

  • Death

    6 DEC 1801 • Liverpool (aged 10 days)


    1801
    0

  • Burial

    08 Dec 1801 • St.Annes, Liverpool, Eng.




Elizabeth Gent

  • Birth

    23 Jan 1803 • Liverpool, Lancashire, England


    1803
    (AGE)
  • The Liverpool Docks and the Industrial Revolution

    In 1803, Elizabeth Gent was living in Liverpool when the docks were a vital part of the British economy.
    1803

  • Baptism

    17 Jul 1803 • Richmond St Anne, Lancashire


    1803
    0

  • Marriage

    13 Jul 1828 • Childwall, Lancashire, England

    Also mentioned in the marriage notices in Liverpool Mercury 25 Jul 1828: On Sunday the 13th instant, at Childwall Church, Mr Wm Spencer, to Elizabeth, youngest daughter of the late Mr Joseph Gent, landing waiter. Was also witness at J.A.Mx's wedding 5 July


    William Spencer


    (1794–)

    1828
    25

  • Death

    26 Nov 1838 • Liverpool, Lancashire, England

    Taken from Liverpool Mercury 7 Dec 1838 deaths: On Monday the 26th ult Elizabeth Spencer, youngest daughter of the late Mr Joseph Gent, landing waiter of HMCustoms

    1838
    35

  • Burial

    30 Nov 1838 • Liverpool, St John, Lancashire, England

    Age: 34



John Gent



  • Birth

    7 Sep 1806 • Liverpool, Lancashire, England


    1806
    (AGE)
  • The Liverpool Docks and the Industrial Revolution

    In 1806, John Gent was living in Liverpool when the docks were a vital part of the British economy.
    1806

  • Baptism

    26 Sep 1806 • Liverpool St Thomas, Lancashire


    1806
    0

  • Death

    23 MAY 1833 • of Rose Hill, Liverpool


    1833
    26

  • Burial

    26 May 1833 • Liverpool, Lancashire, England


Family Tree from Ancestry.co.uk of the Liverpool Gent Family:


No comments:

Post a Comment