Monday 5 November 2018

An Old Postcard from Gorizia


I came across this postcard dated 4th October 1963. It is addressed to my eldest sister Valerie, as 4th October was her birthday, and in 1963 she would have been celebrating her seventeenth birthday.

The signatories are fascinating, and are all relations. I think the message is in the handwriting of my great aunt Maria, my grandmother's sister, but to be honest the writing is not quite the same as that of her signature, where she has signed 'tua Zia, Zia Maria'. The first half differs from the second half. It is then signed by my aunt Silvana. She had been living with us in the early 1960s, and perhaps was now staying with her aunt in Gorizia on a visit.

There is another signatory, who writes 'Auguri vivissimi buon compleanno cugina Livia', and vertically is the signature 'Pina Madriz'. These are all relations on my grandmother's side of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment