Sunday 3 March 2019

Some Family Deeds

I have assembled this blog as a way of thanking Melanie Winterbotham who, over the past twenty-four hours, has generously provided me with a wealth of information concerning my family history. We first made contact in 2013, when I was interested in finding out more about my Turner ancestry.


Family Chest
 This is a chest that has been handed down through the Gent family over the generations. I believe it may have been brought into the family by Rebecca Janney when she married William Gent in 1682.
Gent Family Papers
 Since the chest came into my possession, from my late uncle Philip Gent, I have used to to house some of the many family papers that have survived, dating back to the Civil War period. I have lifted out the top folders to find the oldest documents.
Add caption

Locks of Hair
 In addition to deeds and letters, there are several personal items, including these locks of hair, belonging to Sarah Gent, née Booth, 1751–1843,; her son Dr Henry Gent, 1794-1875 (these are a lock of hair and a piece of his beard cut off before his funeral; and her son Dr John Gent (1787–1817).


Probate of the Will of Clulow Grindy (Died 1728)

Probate Copy of the Will of Clulow Grindy

Probate Copy of the Will of Clulow Grindy

Probate Copy of the Will and Codicil of John Grindy, son of Clulow
The Grindy family farm of Middlehulme came back to the Gent family when the childless John Grindy left it to his nephew Joseph Gent, son of his daughter Jane Grindy, the wife of John Gent, of The Booths, Ipstones. It stayed in the family until sold by George Frederick Gent in 1875.






Will of Joseph Gent of Liverpool, 1811

No comments:

Post a Comment