Saturday 14 January 2017

Mother's Scrapbook

I believe this scrapbook originally belonged to my great grandmother, Georgina Henrietta Thomson, who was born in 1876, so I should guess it dates from about 1890. It was added to by me in the 1960s, when I inserted a lot of postcards. It was later added to by my niece Amanda who stuck in very similar Victorian-style images that I purchased from 'Past Times' and, I think, National Trust shops.  

The cover of the scrapbook


Original pages created by my great grandmother




















































The following three pages of postcards were added by me in the 1960s

Add caption

Postcards of Iddesleigh and the church of St James

I began to collect postcards of churches and cathedrals in the 1960s





More postcards added by myself.

Devonshire churches, and Ordsall. These were from my grandmother. I think Ordsdall is near Retford, and Rampton Hospital, where my uncle lived for too long.


Postcards from my cycle tours of Cheshire and Staffordshire as a teenager, exploring the homes of my ancestors.


A trip to Stratford on Avon: I think this was about 1966 when I worked part time as a librarian in Hulme Library, Manchester.

Alcumlow Hall, birthplace of my great great grandfather Dr Henry Gent, is opposite Little Moreton Hall.

I cycled to Leek and camped in a field there, in pretty awful wet weather. I went to nearby Meerbrook and its church where many of my family are buried.





My summer in Italy with my uncle and aunt with visits from our campsite at Lignano to Trieste and Gorizia.

Many postcards were received from my mother's family in Italy.


I think the windmill is from a school trip to Belgium with my primary school in June, 1960.


Postcards from my journey back from Monza through France when 16. I spent some days in Lyon staying at the Cenacle Convent at Place de Fourvière.




Pages added by my niece Amanda using modern facsimiles of the Victorian cut-outs.





















No comments:

Post a Comment