Tuesday 17 September 2019

Some Old Photos and Memorabilia

Swimming Gala, 26 October 1914
I knew my grandmother was a good swimmer, but I never saw her swim, in pool, sea or river. But this programme from the early days of World War One shows that she did swim well. 

My grandmother appears as Eva Neild in Event 1, and came third in the first heat of Event 3. Her brother Billy competed in Event 5.



Uncle Billy was in the first heat of Event 19.



Some undated pastel drawing by my father from the late 1920s when he was a pupil at St Margaret's School, Moss Side, which he hated. I completed very similar drawings at my primary school thirty years later.








My father's watercolour paintings done as a child at St Margaret's School, Moss Side.


















My father's 'sums': arithmetic lessons at St Margaret's.




I guess this is a card my father embroidered and wrote for his mother's birthday.



My father's school reports when he was nine years old. These were large classes.


You can read my father's account of his childhood here

No comments:

Post a Comment